Hume's philosophy stood out to me the most. He is said to stand out as the most important empiricist, and he set Kant up on his successful road of philosophy.
Hume has two different types of perceptions: impressions and ideas. By impressions he means actually feeling something rather than just thinking about it, and by ideas he means thinking about something rather than experiencing it. On page 266 it says that Hume's point was that we form complex ideas that don't correspond the with physical world. For instance, unicorns or angels. What we do is we come up with scenarios and things that create false ideas. Hume was all about finding out what single ideas went into making a complex idea. When I thought about the complex idea philosophy, I began to think about God and heaven. We have never actually had an 'impression' of God or heaven. As far as we know, it is just an idea. It made me wonder what and who got the simple ideas to create the complex idea of believing in a God or a heaven.
Another philosophy I agreed with was Locke's. His focus was finding out where we get our ideas from and whether we can rely on what our senses tell us.
He believes that we get our thoughts and ideas through what we take in from our senses. On page 256, he referred to the mind as a bare and empty blackboard and an unfurnished room.
He also said that we perceive simple sensations, and we gradually created complex ideas. On page 260, they used an apple as an example. If we were to eat an apple for the first time, we gather simple sensations such as: the apple is green, the apple tastes juicy, and it was a bit sour. Then we take those observations and create a complex idea and form the concept of what an apple is.
To answer his second question, he distinguished the difference between primary and secondary qualities. Primary qualities are the obvious qualities, such as weight, motion and number. Secondary qualities are the things you have to experience, such as color, smell, taste and sound. The point with this was that everyone can agree on the number of things, but taste or smell could vary depending on the person's sensations.
Also, I agreed with Socrates theory that "He who knows what good is will do good." Everyone has a conscience that is able to tell us the difference between right and wrong. It is just up to us to make the right decisions.
A philosopher I disagreed with was Aristotle. His views on women were upsetting. How could someone with such great knowledge be so ignorant to the potential of women? He thought that men were inferior to women, and stated that we were "unfinished men" on page 115. Also, he believed that a child's characteristics come from only the male sperm. He referred to women as the soil that receives and brings forth the seed also on page 115. I completely disagree because women play just as huge of a part as men in the birth process as well as characteristics of the child. We all have some traits from both parents. I thought this was extremely sexist of Aristotle.
In conclusion, I am still climbing to the top of the rabbit's fur. In the beginning, I was buried deep down just like Sophie. After reading Sophie's World, my mind has been opened up to so many new ideas. I have gained a lot of knowledge, and I was able to create new opinions on new philosophies and reasoning. Now that I am finished reading Sophie's World, I realized I have come a long way. I enjoyed it, but I still have ways to go to reach the top of the rabbit's fur.
No comments:
Post a Comment