Sunday, August 11, 2013

Kant believed that our knowledge of the world comes from our sensations. The red tinted glasses experiment was to show that people are easily influenced by their perception. It influences our way of thinking, and wearing the red tinted glasses changes our way of thinking. We have limited knowledge because of our perception. We see things based on our own knowledge and experiences. For instance, if we were born with red tinted glasses, we would think that everything in the world is naturally red tinted. We wouldn't know any different. That is why we see the world the way we do.

"For the mind of man is not just 'passive wax' which simply receives sensations from outside. The mind leaves its imprint on the way we apprehend the world. You could compare it with what happens when you pour water into a glass pitcher. The water adapts itself into the pitcher's form. In the same way our perceptions adapt themselves to our 'forms of intuition.'" This quote from page 322 goes along with the red tinted glasses experiment. It is another form of showing that our perceptions are influenced by the way we see things.

Empiricists believe that knowledge of the world came from direct experiences by senses, and rationalists believed that human knowledge is already innate. Kant thought both of these views were wrong and also right. He came to the conclusion that both 'sensing' and 'reason' come into play in our conception of the world. The things that we learn from our senses are very important in contributing to how we see the world.

Helen Keller said, "Life is a succession of lessons which must be lived to be understood." She is completely right. Life is full of experiences that all have a lesson to be learned. We can choose to be optimistic or we can dwell on the bad. It is up to us.

I have had a hard time focusing on the good aspects of my life. I don't need to tell you my story, but these past few months have taught me a lot. I was focusing and dwelling on all the bad aspects of my life. I never once took a step back to view all the things I appreciate. Honestly, I never focused on making the problems any better. I was miserable, but never acted on any situation. That is why I now believe that you can create your own happiness. We all have the ability to acknowledge the problem at hand and fix it. We all have something to work on to make better. We do have a choice. Making excuses and complaining rather than taking any action is not the way to go. We can overcome anything we set our minds to if we are wearing the right set of glasses.

Also, I have come to the conclusion that most people say and do things that make us seem as if we are someone we aren't. We all have an ideal persona of the person we would like to be. We all strive to be something we are not in certain ways. Every person has different knowledge and different things they want to be. Everyone has their own set of red tinted glasses that they see through, and that influences their thinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment